Thursday, October 1, 2009

Helpful Hanks Advice 17

Hello all, Helpful Hank Here, It’s been a few weeks since I have last posted a blog spot. Been kind of busy working on various projects. Hummie and Harvey Among many of the projects I have been working on one was the re-finishing of a secretary cabinet. Seen below



We had picked it up at Revivals thrift shop in the Sun Center, as we needed a piece for our guest bedroom, which we had recently put a new face on it with a coat of paint. We put up new drapes and then reconfigured the room. Once done we found that the room was in need of another piece of furniture to balance it out. We picked up this vintage secretary for $10.00 at Revival and with a little work, it fit the room perfectly. I always try to use recycled product as much as possible. I love to re-purpose old and used furniture and give it new life.


Memory Lane

Recently, I had the chance to put a video together for Bloom in the Desert’s seventh anniversary. It was interesting to go through the photos with Rev Kev and hear about some of the history of how Bloom got started in there home moving to Palapas’ outside area before finding a home at the YMCA. I had a wonderful time working on this video and learning some of the history of Bloom. Here is that result Memories In Bloom .

Lock it up Marie

I want to share an obvious safety tip with everyone. That tip is to keep your outer doors and gates locked. Many of us have gates to our back yards and Garage doors that we don’t tend to keep closed and locked in addition to locking the front door. So many people tend to leave their garage doors slightly up. This allows a potential thief the opportunity to shimmy under it and gaining access to your home. Unlocked gates do the same thing.

With the economic times as bad as they are right no, (Even though they say we are on the way to recovery.) home invasion robberies are on the rise. A neighbor of mine filled me in on what thieves look for. He said they will find a quit street (set back cul-de sacs I would imagine work well.) they drive down it looking for points of entry that make for quick escapes. I kid you not the very next day I was out in my front yard and a pick up came down our cul-de-sac very slowly and when the came to circle around in front of my place the sped out of the cul-de-sac. I can’t say that they where casing the neighborhood but it was the vibe I was getting. It is important to keep doors locked for the safety of your home, pets and family.

A Summer Salad

I want to share a salad recipe and dressing recipe with everyone’ It is one of my favorite meals for a hot day. Salads are easy to make and are quit refreshing on a hot day with a glass of Ice Tea or and Arnold Palmer.

Take 2 chicken breast marinate with Honey Garlic powder and Olive oil. Once marinated, grill until cooked making sure to baste with the left over marinade.
Once you have grilled your chicken set aside and let it cool as you put together your salad. (One of my favorite things to put in a salad is cut up nectarine.) Once you have, your salad made cut up your grilled chicken into chunks and add.

To make the dressing combine 1 cup of mango blended till liquid, ¾ cup Olive Oil, ½ cup Balsamic Vinegar, 1 and ½ tablespoons garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of Honey. Whisk your dressing till blended completely the pour over salad and serve. This makes for a nice summer/fall meal. The dressing also works well as a dipping sauce.

American Art Awards

Recently I received notice on a couple of pieces that I submitted to the American Art Awards. This is a national competition. Galleries from across the US judge the works from several different categories. I was fortunate enough to have this opportunity presented to me from Mr. Thom Bierdz (you may know him as Philip Chancellor on the Young and the Restless a popular daytime drama.) My Piece Cherry Bomb was one of the finalists in the Abstract Modern category and my piece Freedom to Marry was given top honors in the Political Art category.



Going to the dogs

I want to share a bit of other news with you. I have recently taken over Ownership and Operation of Desert Pet Sitting. We are a local operation that provides in home services for dogs and cats, as well as dog walks and off site doggie day care. We offer reasonable rate and excellent care of your pet while you’re away. You can read our Bio on our site http://www.desertpetsitting.com/. I have also started a second blog at http://desertpetsitting.blogspot.com/ and find out five things you can do to put a smile on your dogs face. And 10 things you should feed your dogs or cats.

Well that about wraps it up for now. As always, I welcome your tips comments and thoughts. Take Care and GBY

-Helpful Hank



You can contact Helpful Hank with Questions, Comments, and Tips and, Deals at: askhelpfulhank@gmail.com Helpful Hank is written by Russell E. Bertlow © 2009 All rights reserved. No portion of this blog may be reprinted in part or whole without the express written permission from Russell E. Bertlow

No comments:

Post a Comment