Saturday, August 8, 2009

Helpful Hank: The Seeds We Sew

The Seeds We Sew


Hello all, Helpful Hank Here,

Well another year has come and gone for me. A year that has been filled with many challenges but with much hope. Friendships hanging by a shoestring now on the mind and friendships stronger then every.

Life is about change and believe me my life has changed plenty. For me this has been a time of growth. However, as the year came to a close I realized how much that I have gained and will gain as a result from this year of change.

I have a birthday tradition that I started back in 1986 after a particularly bad year (1985) and bad beginning to 1986. I decided to send out a birthday letter to my friends and family Thanking them for being a part of my life. Whether they were supportive or the catalyst that set about change, they all affected my life and got me through another year.

Sometimes the only way we will walk through a door is by being shoved through it with a good push on the back. So it’s important to remember and give that’s for those pushes on the back. As, used right, move you to a better place.

Life is always in motion. It is not about living it is about living well. Living well has nothing to do with how much you make. It is about how well you treat others, how strong your faith is in yourself and, in your higher power

Living well means letting go of those things that way you down and holding on to those things that lift you up. It is about not only remembering those lessons learned but using that information to make your life better. It is about taking time to celebrate share and enjoy. Whether you are celebrating a little moment or a grand moment in life or just a life. Whether you are sharing a tear, some laughter or a blue berry poppy seed muffin at Koffee with one of your best friends Share it whole-heartedly. If you are no enjoying your life despite its difficulties or tough times. If you cannot see its bright moments and use them to shine the light on the darkest moments so that you can find you back to those bright moments, then you are not living well. So live well and enjoy life.

I want to share a little project I just finished. I recently found the top of a large ceramic vase jar (The kind you put large bamboo poles in for display.) I’m guessing the rest was broken. There was enough there to use for my project. I took three Bamboo Poles to create my supports. I wrapped them with wire so they stood in a tripod fashion I lined the inside of the vase top covering the opening on the neck with some screen and then some small palm leaves and banana leaves. I filled with dirt mixing in some miracle grow and then gave it a good watering. The next day I planted some Celosia/Cockscomb, and around that, I planted Morning Glory seeds. My hope is that the Morning Glory Seeds having nothing to climb up will climb down the legs and through the wire wrap creating the feeling of cascading water as the flowers fill the planter and trail down the supports, while the celosia, which is flame like in its blooms, will create the feel of fire. Thus giving me the floral equivalent to fire on water. We shall see how it turns out.


The Celosia is a good plant for this climate as it can tolerate the dry hot heat. In addition, The Morning Glories ng Glories like full sun. This is a fairly easy project to do as all you need is some sort of container (preferably one with a v shape to it as those work well in a tripod type stand) 3 good sized pieces of bamboo, some wire, some screen (optional) a few palm or banana leaves, some dirt with a bit of fertilizer mixed in and, your plantings. The trickiest part is getting the wire wrapped so that the stand is stable.

I wanted to mention to All that we are indeed starting to get closer to new local election. You may have already been to a few campaign rallies maybe not. In any event, take a look at candidate for city Council Michael Gallardo. In his current position, he is the Editor of Talk Magazine as well as many other endeavors that he is involved in. He will be on the campaign trail here in Palm Springs and you can probably get a list of his appearances or at least where his next campaign stop is on his face book page. Michael I believe is a hard working individual who feels he can bring about and be a part of change for the better here in Palm Springs. If you catch one of his speeches let him know what you think. This way they know what we as citizens of Palm Springs can make an impact on how our town is run. He’s a good guy he’ll listen. He’s a voice of change.

Well soon I’ll be back to working on my kitchen cabinets again I’ll be glad to get those upper done and this project wrapped up and put to bed. My project after this will be to redo the awnings on the front of the house.

Well that about wraps it up for now. Remember keep the sunscreen on. While we have experienced a little cool down the sun is still out always is. So whether it is sunny, hazy, or cloudy, the sun still comes through with those harmful UV rays so keep the block on. If you get to hot why not go to the movies? It’s air conditioned, your not using your air at home and there are plenty of great movies out right now. I just saw Ice Age dawn of the Dinosaurs in 3D with my best friend and her daughter. We stayed cool and enjoyed a fun movie. It was a nice little break from the heat. Don’t forget to use the valley’s cooling centers.

Oh folks, If you can help out making Sandwiches at Well in the Desert Mondays at 9 we sure could use the help. As, Rev Kev says Many Hands Make for light work or word similar to that.

One last thing, check out nh8wear New Items have been added and you can help Support Marriage equality with each purchase as 10% of the profits go to those charities. You’ll also be supporting that entrepreneurial spirit as this is one of the ways we make our living.

Well till next time folks, Keep cool and enjoy the rest of the summer

Thank you to my readers for all your comments and support on and of my blog.

Helpful Hank
Here’s a tip for you can find out what’s going on in the Coachella Valley at The Desert411. You can desert. With a Comprehensive restaurant guide as well. You can join free and keep abreast of what’s happening here in the desert - HH

You can contact Helpful Hank with Questions, Comments, Tips and, Deals at: askhelpfulhank@gmail.com Helpful Hank is written by Russell E. Bertlow © 2009 All rights reserved. No portion of this blog may be reprinted in part or whole without the express written permission from Russell E. Bertlow

No comments:

Post a Comment